Chocolate Cupcakes With Matcha-Infused Buttercream Frosting
Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes:
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour (I used all-purpose)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
Matcha-Infused Buttercream Frosting:
- 1 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 2/3 cup vegan butter, softened (we used Earth Balance)
- 1-2 tsp Cozy As F*ck Metta Matcha (depending on how green you want your frosting to be!)
- Pre-heat oven to 350F. Rub some coconut oil your cupcake pan to prevent sticking. Set aside.
- Add water, apple sauce, melted coconut oil, vinegar, and vanilla extract to a large bowl and mix well.
- Sift in the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Mix well, but don't over-mix (just make sure it's all incorporated well).
- Fill cupcake pan, only filling each space about 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake 20-22 minutes, or until cooked all the way though (when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean).
- Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- When cupcakes are cooled completely, prepare your frosting. Add powdered sugar, vegan butter, and matcha powder to a large bowl, using a sifter for the powdered sugar and matcha powder. Using electric beaters, mix very well, until incorporated.
- Spread or pipe frosting onto cupcakes, as desired.
- Enjoy! :)
Make sure to share your matcha creations with us on Instagram! Tag us at @mettateaco and use our hashtag #mettamatcha for your chance to win $50 credit at our shop! We pick a new winner every month!